Architectural Millwork: Creating Exceptional Home Interiors with Gary Striegler September 27-October 1, 2021
Craftsmanship Across the Board
$865 tuition + $150 materials
*What are the most practical locations for sliding doors
*Three options for sliding door hardware
*Methods for mounting floating shelves
*Layout and design for the ultimate closet
*Options for making craftsman style trim details
*How to use a story pole to design mantels and other millwork
*Step-by-step methods for laminating and milling door parts
*Method for building strong simple cabinets
*Building and installing basic drawers
*Best practices for pocket hole joinery
FYI: All tool lists have been emailed after your class registration was processed.
MASW…Where Creativity Flourishes
More Information on this Workshop
The definition of a commodity is a product that is so standard that it is only purchased based on price. As a carpenter, woodworker and contractor Gary wants his to be custom not a commodity. That means building items to an exact size with a specific function in a unique style. This class will focus on the projects most requested by homeowners today; custom doors, mantels, floating shelves, storage solutions, wainscot/wall paneling and customized closets. Students will work in teams for some projects because of their size. On smaller projects, student will work unaided. Gary will focus the week on five areas of concentration.
1. Sliding doors have many practical applications and are wildly popular but should be a specific width and height. Each team we will build a different style of custom door.
2. Just about every home has at least one fireplace. The mantel is an expression of the homeowner’s taste and usually the homes most important piece of millwork. Teams will build either a traditional or craftsman style mantel.
3. Today there is a trend toward minimalism and floating shelves are a great example, but they also have to be sturdy. Students will learn three options for shelves that defy gravity and explore other storage options like window seats and cubby cabinets.
4. In the dining room, office or entry, wainscot or wall paneling is a great way to elevate the finish of a special room. From raised panel to craftsman style, teams will build full size sections on a mockup wall with special attention to trim details.
5. Great closets always make a strong impression. Layout and adjustability are the key to functional and beautiful closets. Years ago Gary developed a simple closet system that is easy to build and keeps all the options open for his clients. Each team will use his system to design and build a walk-in closet.
Find & Follow Us On Social Media
You May Also Like These Workshops
Unique Workshops Unique Instructors
Miniature Highboy: A Jewelry Chest with Jeff Headley & Steve Hamilton April 26-May 1, 2021 (6 days)$1,035.00
Cabinets for the Home, Shop or Office with Gary Striegler May 17-21, 2021$1,015.00
Guitar Inlay & Ornamentation with Michael Bashkin June 1-5, 2021 (Tues-Sat)$910.00
Make a Mid-Century End Table with Chris Gochnour June 7-11, 2021$865.00
The Art of 3D on the Bandsaw with Alex Snodgrass July 12-16, 2021$865.00
The Fine Art of Shoemaking: The Oxford Pathfinder with Molly Grant August 16-20, 2021$865.00
The Art & Craft of Cabinetmaking with George Vondriska August 23-27, 2021$1,110.00
Forging Your Own Mytho-Northern Knife with David DelaGardelle August 30-September 3, 2021$865.00