Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Making Metal Move: From Fine Jewelry to Furniture Details with Myra Perrin
Dates: 7/17/2017 - 7/21/2017
Metal is an exciting material! Using copper, silver and bronze, students will learn to use a variety of metal working tools and techniques to create elements to adorn furniture or jewelry to wear. Through design development each person will explore his or her own personal design style. Emphasis will be placed on acquiring confidence with the tools used. Myra will show the correct ways to saw, file, forge, form, color, join, and finish metal. With these skills, students will be able to continue working metal in their own workshop. This is a great class for the beginner with limited time or for those desiring to further develop their skills. No experience necessary — just a desire make metal move. Students will work primarily with copper, silver and bronze which all make for beautiful adornments. The material fee will be based on a "kit" of jewelry material. Students will have the option to purchase additional materials during the class.
- How to use a jeweler's saw
- How to file and finish metal
- How to form and forge metal into 3-D designs
- How to join using soldering, rivets, or tabs
- How to add color and texture to metal
- How to add findings (ear wires, connecting rings and chain) to make your pieces into jewelry
- How to attach metal elements to wood
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.