Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Woodturning II: the Next Level with Alan Lacer
Dates: 6/19/2017 - 6/23/2017
This is the next step for students who have completed a course with Alan, or who have had at least a year of turning experience. Alan will take themes covered in his first course and challenge students to a greater development. This will include duplicating a turned furniture leg, developing greater skill with the skew chisel, developing form and skill in bowl turning (by turning three different bowl forms, each with particular difficulties in fine shaping and execution), exploring the fascinating area of bowl/vessel turning known as "hollow turning" (which includes demonstrations on commercially available tools, as well as the process for making tools for this type of turning), and creating turned lidded boxes with variations of joining the lid to base and a number of other design options. This class will push each student to a higher level of turning excellence.
- Duplicating spindles
- Off-center turning exercises
- Techniques for turning thin and long spindles
- Methods in turning different types of bowls
- Fundamentals of hollow turned bowls/vessels
- Making hook tools and simple hollow turning tools
- Exploring turned box variations
- Refining tools and improving sharpening techniques
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.