Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Decorative Turned Boxes with Matthew Hill
Dates: 8/3 - 8/7
Tool List: Click here for tool list
If you like the precision of fitting things together and the freedom and speed of woodturning, then making lidded containers on the lathe may be just the project for you. Its possible to make beautiful boxes without joints, hinges or measuring a single piece of wood. In this class, participants will make two containers of Matthew's design and one or more of their own design. Students will learn the finer techniques of spindle turning and end grain hollowing with an emphasis on learning to cut and shear scrape to achieve pleasing form and sharp detail without torn grain. In addition to plenty of turning instruction, students will be encouraged to add texture and color to their pieces using techniques that Matthew will demonstrate in class. This will be a challenging week of learning new techniques, refining old skills, and developing ones sense of design. Come join Matthew in one of his favorite classes to teach.
- Develop a repeatable method of sharpening
- Learn to turn decorative coves and beads with the detail gouge and skew chisel
- Use the skew chisel to refine detail and clean up torn end grain
- Achieve proficiency with an end grain cutting tool
- Master shear scraping with the round nose scraper
- Experiment with adding color and texture to your work
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
Class Is Full