Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Decorative Turned Boxes with Matthew Hill
Dates: 7/18 - 7/22
Tool List: Click here for tool list
Making decorative turned lidded containers on the lathe is one of the most satisfying projects in woodturning. They are both functional and decorative and even a little magical. Matthew will help students develop confidence in their woodturning skills while encouraging them to refine their sense of form. Students will be encouraged to experiment with different techniques of surface decorations such as color and texture. Matthew often uses small decorative handles in his work and will demonstrate the different techniques he employs in making them, giving students the opportunity to make their own. While this class is focused on each student learning and practicing the techniques needed to confidently and comfortably make a beautiful lidded container, participants will take home several finished pieces. If you like the precision of fitting things together and the freedom and speed of woodturning, then making lidded containers on the lathe may be just the project for you.
- Develop sensitivity to sharpness in cutting tools and scrapers
- Turn concave and convex forms with the detail gouge
- Use the skew chisel to refine detail and repair torn grain
- Achieve proficiency with an end grain cutting tool
- Master shear scraping with the round nose scraper
- Experiment with adding color and texture to your work
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
Class Is Full