Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Skew Chisel Boot Camp with Alan Lacer
Dates: 5/31 - 6/4
The skew chisel is the MOST challenging tool for woodturning. Many a turner avoids the use of the skew due to its ability to quickly spoil your work if presented wrongly. In this exceptional class Alan will challenge you to only use one type of tool all week: the skew chisel. After learning to produce “scary sharp” edges, Alan will take you through at least ten different cuts with this versatile tool. Following that, the class will begin to make a variety of items that reinforce the different cuts. These projects will include the making of at least six of the following: tool handle, spinning top, stick-type ink pen, door stops, short table leg, off-center leg and finials. This workshop sold out fast last year and will undoubtedly go fast again this year so make sure to sign up early.
- Comparing various grinds or profiles
- Producing exceptionally sharp edges
- Preparing the lathe for skew work
- Reducing or eliminating any fear of the skew
- Ten different cuts with the skew
- Making a variety of projects
- Working thin diameter pieces with the skew
- Handling challenging wood
- Fundamentals of duplication
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
Public Registration begins December 1, 2015. Please check back then to register online.