Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Making an Acoustic Guitar with John Ressler
Dates: 7/6 - 7/11
Tool List: Click here for tool list
Building your own guitar can be one of the most rewarding crafts. It consists of precise joinery, creativity and music all in one package! You will be guided through all the critical elements of making an acoustic, steel-string guitar. Materials will be high-grade, quality, solid woods only. Because of the obvious time limitations, prefabrication of parts will be necessary, and John will supply these. You will learn the start to finish process of the craft and art of musical instrument construction. By the end of the week, you will have completed your own hand-crafted, acoustic guitar that is strung and fully playable. The application of a protective finish will be discussed in depth so students can complete the project after the class ends. Participants should have some experience correctly using hand tools, such as chisels and planes. If you ever wanted to make a guitar, this class will be the chance of a lifetime. The hours are long, and the challenge is great, but the satisfaction will be tremendous and will create sound memories that will last a lifetime.
- Building an acoustic guitar from start to finish
- Selecting instrument grade woods and understanding their effect on tone
- Carving guitar top braces and manipulating them for tone
- Getting the best tone from a guitar
- Fretting a musical instrument
- Inlaying mother of pearl shell
- Woodworking to very tight tolerances
- Tuning a guitar
- Understanding he theories behind what makes a guitar work
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.
Class Is Full