Classes at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
Fine Detailed Boxes with Adrian Ferrazzutti
Dates: 9/28 - 10/2
Tool List: Click here for tool list
The small box is an ideal project to introduce intricate veneer work while developing fine box making techniques. Students will build a small box using a veneered pattern of their own design that seamlessly wraps down and around the sides of the box. Using both class demonstrations as well as individual consultation, Adrian will assist students through the entire process from design to finish using a combination of hand tools and machine work. He will start the week off with a discussion of the practical aesthetics of box design and will provide an overview of techniques, including selecting and preparing stock, joinery, precision milling of multiple parts, assembling, sanding, and finishing.
- Handling of commercial and shop sawn veneers
- Basic principles of veneering and grain matching
- Vacuum and mechanical pressing techniques
- Joinery suitable for plywood
- Machining and applying hardwood edging
- Installing hinges and locks
- Basic finishing for veneered surfaces
NOTE: Prior to the start of class, a cut list will be sent so you can Bring Your Own Wood.
There is a $45 annual registration fee that will be added to your the total amount of the class if this is the first class you are registering for this season.